Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The latest observations from Len Gardner

I'll be the first to complain about the dearth of posts here on the blog, given the amount of beauty that there is to write about in our treasured Laguna Canyon. For all of you followers who have been disappointed in my lack of blogging during these past few weeks, please accept my sincerest apologies!

Of course, there are good reasons for this lack of posting - the first of which is that my camera is in for repair (going on its third week now!!)... so until I have it back, I cannot take any photos of the canyon and its plants. Boohoo!
The second reason is more general in nature - in short, life has just gotten more hectic! With a heavier work schedule, I have been without my usual two days of connecting with the canyon's natural rhythm.

Thankfully, during these two chaotic weeks, Len Gardner remained faithful to his duties and sent me a report on Sunday, June 21st. For all of you Laguna Canyon Foundation volunteers and Laguna Canyon visitors, this is your time to shine - consider contributing your thoughts and observations to the blog. Don't worry about grammar or form - just submit! The more voices we get on the blog, the richer our experiences will be, both online and on the trails.

Until my next post, I wish you all a wonderful rest of the week. Thanks for following this blog!

Len Gardner's report, 21 June 2009:
I was in Little Sycamore this morning. I was helping Laura with her Father's Day special hike.

The most interesting natural history note for me was to see Sacapellote, Acourtia microcephala, in full bloom. This plant is an exuberant flowerer. It's pink-purple blossoms, when taken en masse, are quite striking. I also found it interesting that its leaves are turning yellow and drying out even as it rushes to complete its flowering.

Oscar Clarke, in his Santa Ana Flora, says its "foliage dries by autumn." This year, autumn evidently comes early. Of course, this is indicative of our long-term water deficit. This year and last year were a little sub-par, but three years ago was drastically deficient (about 4.5 inches). We still haven't recovered from that disastrous year.

It was nice to see one Calochortus weedii along the trail. Last year they seemed to be everywhere. This year, only a few.

Someone in the group said they heard that the forecasts are looking more positive for a return of El Nino conditions later this year. I hope so.

http://www.elnino.noaa.gov/

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/e

No comments: