Saturday, October 3, 2009

California Coffeeberry, Stinking Gourd, and Mysteries at Aliso and Wood Canyons Park

Hiking at Aliso and Wood Canyons Park this morning with a friend, I came across a plant that I hadn't met before on the trail: California Coffeeberry! Here's a quick photograph of it (see left). For more pictures of the California Coffeeberry taken today, please click HERE.

"California Coffeeberry (Rhamnus californica) prefers somewhat more moist conditions than the other Rhamnus species and is more prevalent in somewhat shady environments, such as canyon bottoms and near creeks. Leaves are soft and elongate, with rounded margins. The fruit is a two-seeded, relatively large, round berry that turns red before becoming black at maturity." (p.261 of Oscar Clarke's Flora of the Santa Ana River and Environs).


I also was excited to note the large leaves of this stinking gourd plant. (Note the poison oak surrounding the stinking gourd - I made sure my friend, who is "giving me a hand" with scale in the photo, wasn't touching any of it!)

I asked a few of my knowledgeable plant friends about the size of the leaves, since I have been used to seeing leaves just a bit larger than the length of my hand at the Laguna Coast Wilderness Park ( the Willow/Lower Laurel trails instantly come to mind ). Here, at the Aliso and Wood Canyons park, the leaves were double the length of my hands! I have been told that this larger size is quite normal, given the better living conditions this plant has at Aliso and Wood Canyons. Truly, with its more abundant water supply and good sun exposure allowing optimum growth, there is no reason for the leaves to be smaller than they are currently. It just goes to show you what more water can do for our native plants... I'd love to see this kind of growth in our plants at Laguna Coast Wilderness Park!

A few final observations from the trails this morning:

- I noticed some bush mallow (with lavender colored flowers [we also have a white flowered bush mallow in the canyon]) in full bloom on Wood Canyon trail. Most of the bush mallow in our parks has already been in bloom months ago; yet Oscar Clarke notes in his Flora of the Santa Ana River and Environs that bush mallow's flowers "may occur over a wide range of seasons, given sufficient precipitation" (180). I wonder if this particular bush mallow plant has been in continuous bloom since May/June when I first started to notice the mallow blooms in the canyon and on Irvine Ranch lands - or if this is the first blooming since a long while... It really makes me want to get out more than I do, plant myself in the earth amongst the rest of creation, and just watch us all grow together. I'd have so many more answers!

- There weren't any bees buzzing in the tree along Wood Canyon trail that I had come to know well (about 1 mile from gate 7?). What happened to their hive? Why the total absence of bees? Earlier this year, bees were buzzing all about the tree, flying back and forth from all over, and making themselves known to all. Who can tell me about bees, and why none were to be heard/seen today? (The hive is just after this water crossing, to the left, if walking towards Soka University on Wood Canyon Trail. Note the atrocious non-native plant thriving in the water. WHAT IS THAT PLANT? YUCK!)

- The weather today was just glorious. How lucky are we to have such sunshine and such deep, blue skies in the beginning of October?! Yet let us be wary as the Santa Ana winds come upon us - in these drought conditions, every season seems to be fire season - your heightened awareness of your activities and of others will help us all keep our treasured parks safe.

That's it for today - hopefully I'll have more updates for you soon.
And I'm counting on some of our newest volunteers to send me their submissions! ;)

With the cry of our local red-tailed hawks in my heart,
Jennifer

No comments: