Monday, April 6, 2009

85 Degrees at Willow - a Lizard's Paradise! & New Photos!

Today I decided to check on the plants and animals out at Willow. I started up Willow trail at roughly 11 AM - the sun was beating down on me already but I was fully equipped with water, my trusty hat, and determination.


About two minutes up Willow, I came across this fantastic lizard (most likely a Western Fence lizard - updated on April 7, 2009 at 8 PM), who was strategically placed next to an ant hole and was wondering when the heck I was going to let him go eat lunch. We spent about 3 minutes together, chatted about our lives, the heat of the morning, etc. I was even able to sit down next to him - he'd turn his head up at me to get a closer look at this human who cared to say hello.



Here's another view, where you can really see the ants - yum! I was just hoping that the lizard would eventually move out of the middle of the road - if he didn't move in time, he might have been spotted from the air and gobbled up for lunch as well!




I continued up Willow to then check on the various wildflowers in bloom right now, along with the general state of everything else. There are a few plants/flowers I would like to mention here - and I strongly recommend you check them out ASAP - for they are beautiful!

#1: The Paintbrush along Willow is just extraordinary right now.


#2: Check out the Dense-Flowered Chick Lupine (Lupinus microcarpus), it is exquisite!


#3 Some beautiful Mariposa lilies were out, too:


#4: Check out the beautiful Owl's Clover (in the Paintbrush family):

#5: Got a photo of Woodland Star, a flower I haven't mentioned on this blog yet (it's a little blurry but it will do) - found on Lower Laurel:


The other lupines were out as well, along with the California poppies, blue dicks, common fiddleneck, deerweed, etc. etc. etc. :)
I've been updating/rearranging my photo albums online - if you haven't visited them for a while, I've got OVER 160 of them now - check them out HERE.
I'll have more news to report soon! Thanks for checking in! - Jennifer

No comments: